CONTACT US  |  PARENTS  |  STUDENTS  |  STAFF  |  ABOUT US  |  INDEX
COLYTON GRAMMAR SCHOOL
Expectation & Excellence
established 1546

SCHOOL HISTORY

 

In 1546, twenty yeomen and merchants - the first Feoffees - bought some land from the Crown 'for the benefit of Colyton', and their first act was to endow a Grammar School 'for the goodly and virtuous education of children in Colyton forever'.

The school's first home was a room over the porch of the parish church of St Andrew.  Later the Feoffees hired a room in the town.  In 1612, the school moved to Church House, which had been enlarged by having another storey built onto it.

The first Headmaster on record was William Hull, who came to the school in 1603, at a stipend of £5 a year.

In 1927, the school moved to purpose-built premises on its present day site, in the nearby village of Colyford, one mile from its original home in the centre of Colyton.

A short history of the school, called simply 'Colyton Grammar School', was written in the 1970s by Gerald Gosling - a former pupil.  It was published by the Old Colytonians Association in 1978.

Extract from the foreword:
"To write a book about a school that has been in existence for over four centuries, has had four homes, known twenty of our monarchs, all our Prime Ministers, has been through countless wars, two of them global, yet throughout the changes down the centuries has continued to send its children out into and around the world the better equipped to face it because of having been there, is no easy task, and could not have have been undertaken lightly.

It has not been so.  Colyton Grammar School has done its best for its children.  If this child has done his best for the School with this history, it is because of his having been there."  G. J. Gosling

The book can be downloaded in PDF format from this link :    

TIMELINE
1538
Henry Courtenay, Marquis of Exeter, executed by Henry VIII.  Lands to the crown
1546
Land bought from the Crown by Yeomen and Merchants of Colyton, the first Feoffees'
1546
School's first home - a room over the porch of Colyton parish church
1603
First Headmaster, William Hull
1610
Mr Dynham appointed as Headmaster
1611
John Bickles, Headmaster
1614
John Cottington, Headmaster
1792
First Headmistress appointed, Mrs Susanah Stokes
1795
Samual Major appointed as Headmaster
1815
Thomas Dawe Major appointed as Headmaster
1815
The School gets its own water supply
1863
Edward John Tett appointed as Headmaster
1875
School established as a day and boarding school with its present name - Colyton Grammar School
1876
June 20th - school population was down to one
1884
August - numbers up to 33
1900
School closed, cause - lack of pupils!
1905
School re-opened, Lothar Hugo Mermagen Headmaster
1913
Population now 60.  Mermagen leaves for Ilminster Grammar
1913
Change in School's constitution, girls now admitted for the first time
1913
John Jackson, Headmaster
1914
Board of Education recognise school as efficient and thus liable for a grant, income now at £450
1914
Change of governing body from Feoffees' to a Board of Governors, 15 people
1914
School known as a Pupil Teacher Training Centre and a Training Place for Bursars
1919
Donald McKay Ohm, Headmaster
1923
Opening of Grammar School in Lyme Regis siphons off pupils
1927
School moves to new building at Colyford, population 100
1934
Donald McNee Stirling appointed as Headmaster
1949
Geoffrey Standing, Headmaster
1953
William Jowett, Headmaster
1954
Patrick Morison, Headmaster
1963
Swimming pool opened
1963
Rugby introduced
1975
Douglas Henwood, acting Head
1975
Ernest Fox appointed Headmaster
1979
Cottrill Sports Hall opened
1990
Barry Sindall appointed Headteacher
1991
Feoffees' Building opened - Science and Technology classrooms
1993
New Music Suite opened
1996
Walker Building opened - Library & Resources Centre; Language Laboratory; History classrooms; IT Room
1998
New Canteen 'Take Five' opened
1999
New Sixth Form Study Centre opened
2001
Coly Building opened - suite of four Humanities classrooms
2003
Additional IT room opened
2004
New Sports Hall opened
All Weather Pitch re-surfaced (astro turf)
2005
Complete internal and external refurbishment of the Jowett Building, housing Chemistry classrooms
2006
New Art Centre opened
2008
Paul Evans appointed Headteacher
Sindalls' Building opened - Physics classrooms and extra Sixth Form study area - September
Re-modelled Design & Technology Centre opened by Lord Whitty - November
2010
Re-modelled Drama Studio opened in June
2011
Extension to Music Centre opened
2012
Re-modelled Library & Resources Centre opened in September
2015
Jayne Wainwright appointed Headteacher
Complete internal and external refurbishment and extension to the Cottrill Hall opened in March. New changing rooms and PE offices added to Sports Centre.
2016
Tim Harris appointed Headteacher